Tuesday 20 May 2014

Real books vs. E-books - The big debate

I've got to admit, when the idea of an 'electronic' book came about, I wasn't impressed. "What's next, eh? Virtual food? Ha!"

I've always been a 'real book' kind of girl. I think it started from the first time I watched Beauty and the Beast and Belle is shown the Beast's not-at-all-exaggerated library. It's filled with thousands of books, and the bookcases all have those ladders-on-wheels that every child dreams of having a go on, but sadly, apparently don't exist in English libraries (I was so disappointed).

I'm sure I've seen something like this on Grand Designs

If I was on a wheely ladder I'd be throwing my arms up rejoicing too.

It was from that moment on I decided I wanted to own a house with a library, perhaps not as big as that one, but a library nonetheless.

Whenever I visit National Trust houses, it's always the library which is my favourite room. There's something enchanting about a room lined with books, and sofas and chaise-longues scattered about the room which makes you just want to curl up under a blanket and spend the afternoon sipping tea and reading. I would try it (the library at Arundel Castle was particularly beautiful) but I doubt Harold, the man who looks as old as the Castle explaining why the curtains are in fact a royal red, and not a burgundy red like the rest of the building, would approve. "It all began when the Earl's wife visited a cottage in France in the late 17th century..."

So in the last five years, I've made a personal effort to buy books instead of borrowing them in a hope to get my mini library collection off to a good start.

I've been buying books for about four years now. I currently have enough to fill one shelf.

One.

Which is better than nothing, right?

My books sit on a bookcase in the entrance hall to my flat, so as soon as you walk in the door, they're staring at you, as if to say 'hey, this girl is cultured and likes to read! And there so many different novels, she must be so clever! Notice how she has also has every one of the Harry Potter books which she may or may not have queued up for at midnight. She must be so awesome, I'm so glad she's my friend.'*

*A survey of 100 people came to these conclusions.

What books people have on their shelves says a lot about them, I think. Have a lot of books by travel writers? You want to go travelling but can't be bothered to fork out the money. Lots of historical novels? You think were born in the wrong century. Lots of cookery books? Your friends think you're a shit cook. Lots of autobiographies of celebrities? You can't read, you just like looking at the pictures of famous people when they were younger. "Ha, look. They looked as geeky as me before they earnt millions and had plastic surgery. I almost feel good about myself now."

So, what books do I own?


  • Lots of travel books by Bill Bryson (his brain works in the most mundane, hilarious ways)
  • A handful of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels which I cunningly stole from my parents when I moved out (wrote my dissertation on Terry Pratchett, so the borrowing was for, he-hem, educational reasons)
  • Almost every historical novel by my favourite author Phillipa Gregory (I always wish I had been born a Tudor until I think of hygiene and the severe lack of lil-lets in the 16th century)
  • The Hunger Games (because obviously)
  • And a collection of other brilliant books like 1984, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and Tom Cox's 'The Good, The Bad and the Furry' all about his 6 cats (it's better than it sounds. Well, unless you don't like cats.)


Some of my books. Feel free to send me more. It's almost like donating to charity. Almost.


The big debate

There's something about owning a book. It smells like a book. It's there. It's in front of you. You can see how many pages it is and how far through you are. There are crease marks in the corners where you keep losing your bookmark and stains from where you spilt your spaghetti on it - battle scars from the epic journey from front to end.

Real book 1 - 0 E-book

I was 100% a real book girl, until I was bought an e-reader for Christmas.

I hadn't asked for one before then because I wasn't quite sure how I felt about the whole 'electronic' book idea. I didn't want to ask for one just in case one week later I ended up using it as a coaster for my tea while reading a real book.

But I was bought one, nonetheless. And I thought you know what, I'm a young whippersnapper, I can't stay behind with the times. I was ready to fully embrace it. I got a fancy case for it and entered my debit card details online, and Bob's your Uncle, I could buy books to my hearts delight! I could login on my laptop, buy a book, open my e-reader and it would automatically download (like magic, eh?)

NB: I can report that I have never used it as a coaster, but have in fact read 7 e-books on it since Christmas, in contrast to just 2 real books.

I think two particular things won me over. Firstly was the handbag ordeal. Having a book in a bag is tricky business. The corners get ruffled, the cover gets bent over when you get your purse out at Tesco, and god forbid if your water bottle lid isn't screwed on tight enough.

Secondly was the 'reading while eating a meal' situation. With a regular book, you find you have to have quite strong hand muscles in order to perform this. Your hand has to sprawl out in the most un-natural position just to hold down both sides, and if it's a heavy book, ha - good luck. You need an extra elbow in place just to hold the fat side down. From personal experience, stains are most likely to occur when page turning. It's a messy business.

Real book 1 - 2 E-book

But you can't lend e-books to anyone. Or, even better, borrow them. 'Hey, can I read your copy of The Book Thief? Thanks, I'll just take your £100 Kindle for the next two weeks. You might as well give me your iPad to borrow while you're at it, and your mobile.'

Nah. Doesn't work.

Real book 2 - 2 E-book

E-books can, and will, run out of battery. Most likely to happen in places where extreme boredom is looming, like the doctors surgery, or while you partner has control of the TV reno mote.

Real book 3 - 2 E-book

I can carry up to 1000 books on my e-reader at once. If I tried to do that with real books I'd probably give myself a hernia.

Real book 3 - 3 E-book

Waterstones is a magical wonderland of ink and book-forts.

Real book 4 -3 E-book

I can read erotic novels on the train and no one can judge me.

Real book 4 - 4 E-book

Real books make good fans when it's hot.

Real book 5 - 4 E-book

E-readers make good frisbees

Real book 5 - 5 E-book

If you're cold you can rip the pages out of a book and burn them to make a fire. So versitile.

Real book 6 - 5 E-book

E-books would make a great weapon in a fight.

Real book 6 - 6 E-book

Real books can open out to make makeshift umbrellas.

Real book 7 - 6 E-book

If you put 2 E-books face up on a table you can pretend you're David Freeman from Flight of the Navigator.

Real book 7 - 7 E-book

And so it goes on and on....

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

The outcome

So where do I stand on the whole real book vs. e-book debate?

I'm slap bang in the middle.

I like the convenience of e-books. I like that I can eat and read without getting hand-cramp. But they're not real. They're not there, and they certainly can't fill a library.

I know what will happen. I'll be the woman that owns both e-book and real book, and end up spending a bloody fortune just to get my library the way I pictured it when I was a little girl.

And I'll get my wheely-ladders if it's the last thing I do.


So... what's your opinion? E-book or real book?



1 comment:

  1. Well i never knew you were a Philippa Gregory fan Miss Jenni! You should check out my shelves (plural) just for my Tudor Romance smushy-literature stuff... you'd love it. But I am afraid, for me, its real books all the way... E-Books are only useful when travelling. I am a techno-scrooge xx Dannie xx

    ReplyDelete

Can I make you a cup of tea while you're waiting?

Powered by Blogger.